1) Creating an empty file. We can use touch command for make a new file in Linux. Syntax is following.
2) Deleting a file When deleting a file we use the command rm.
touch [new file name]
3) Copy or move a file. For copy a file to a different location we use cp command.
rm [file name]
To move a file we use same syntax with the command mv.
cp /var/www/html/new.php /temp
4) Renaming a file. The command we use to rename a file is same as moving file.we can do it like this.
mv /var/www/html/new.php /temp
5) Know what in a file when we need to quickly check what inside a file we use cat command.
mv /var/www/html/new.php /var/www/html/new2.php
There are another two commands like cat. Head command can be used to see what inside the head section of a file and tail is used to see last section of a file head [file name] tail [file name] 6) Edit a file nano [file name] for editing text file and any other files we can use a simple CLI editor called nano. 7) Giving permissions to a file.
Cat [file name]
The chmod command is used to give or edit permissions to a folder or a file.
chmod -R 777 [file name]